Teach Ascension Academy
APPLICATION WINDOW opens
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW:
INFORMATIONAL MEETING DATES:
Tuesday, Oct. 29th 2019, 6 - 7 PM, Lowery Middle School
Thursday, Nov. 7th 2019, 6 - 7 PM, Central Middle School
Minimum enrollment Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Passing scores on PRAXIS I (or equivalent ACT (22)/SAT (1030) score) and PRAXIS II (content knowledge
Candidates that successfully complete the interview process will complete four weeks of intensive professional development.
Sessions during this training will include:
- Classroom Management
- Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Standards-Based Lesson and Unit Planning based on student need and Backwards Design
- Foundational Reading
- Teaching high-poverty students
Candidates will also be given field experience during the summer. Teachers will observe, co-teach, plan, and teach lessons during a summer school program in Ascension Parish. After initial training and internship is completed, candidates will be evaluated to determine readiness for classroom placement in one of the TAP schools.
Training and Support During the School Year
As a teacher in a TAP school, candidates would have the following support and professional development available to them:
- Assistance, support, and follow up by a master teacher at a 1:15 ratio
- Assistance, support, and follow up by a mentor teacher at a 1:10 ratio
- 90 minutes weekly professional development in cluster meetings during the school day
- 90 minutes weekly Professional Learning Community meeting time during the school day
- 4 TAP Evaluations per year with intensive post conference to ensure improvement and growth
- In addition to the support of a TAP Master and Mentor teacher, a Highly Effective Supervising Teacher will also support each candidate at a 1:1 ratio
Teach Ascension Academy offers certification in the following content areas:
- Early Childhood Education PK-3
- Elementary Education 1-5
- Middle Grades English 4-8
- Middle Grades Mathematics 4-8
- Middle Grades Science 4-8
- Biology (6-12)
- Chemistry (6-12)
- Earth Science (6-12)
- Environmental Science (6-12)
- General Science (6-12)
- Physics (6-12)
- English (6-12)
- Mathematics (6-12)
- Business Education (6-12)
- Mild/Moderate 1-5 / Elementary 1-5
- Mild/Moderate 4-8 / English 4-8
- Mild/Moderate 4-8 / Mathematics 4-8
- Mild/Moderate 4-8 / Science 4-8
- Mild/Moderate 6-12 / English 6-12
- Mild/Moderate 6-12 / Mathematics 6-12
- Mild/Moderate 6-12 / Biology 6-12
- Mild/Moderate 6-12 / Chemistry 6-12
- Mild/Moderate 6-12 / Earth Science 6-12
- Mild/Moderate 6-12 / Environmental Science 6-12
- Mild/Moderate 6-12 / General Science 6-12
- Mild/Moderate 6-12 / Physics 6-12
- Agriculture (6-12)
- Family & Consumer Sciences (6-12)
- Technology Education (6-12)
- Tuition for the program is $4,000. This is comparable to other alternative certification programs in the area. However, there is no out of pocket expense as long as you teach in an Ascension Parish school for two years.
- After teaching one full year in an Ascension Parish school, $2,000 of your tuition will be paid for by APSB.
- After teaching two full years in an Ascension Parish school, the remainder of your tuition will be paid for by APSB.
- If you leave the district before the two year commitment is met, you will be responsible for reimbursing the remaining balance of your tuition to APSB.
- Praxis exam fees (paid to ETS) varies depending on the number of exams required for certification area. Individual exams cost @$90-$150 each (passed Praxis exams may be able to be reimbursed depending on title funds).
- $50 application fee for a Practitioner License (paid to the LA DOE), due at the end of summer training
Do I have to have Praxis exams passed before applying to the program?
- Yes, you must have Praxis I passed or meet the exemption requirements prior to applying to the program, you must have Praxis II passed before initial training begins in June.
Am I guaranteed a job in Ascension Parish if accepted into the program?
- No, all participants must secure a position by interviewing with school principals. Last year, 100% of participants secured employment.
Can I teach in any school in Ascension Parish through this program?
- You may only teach in Ascension Parish schools who implement TAP. Currently, this includes: Donaldsonville Primary, Lowery Elementary, Gonzales Primary, Sorrento Primary, Carver Primary, Duplessis Primary, Pecan Grove Primary, Lowery Middle, Gonzales Middle, and Donaldsonville High.
When does initial training take place?
- Initial training is mandatory and takes place during the entire month of June 2019.
What is the time commitment for Initial Training?
- Initial training is a full time commitment Monday- Friday from 7:30 am- 4:30 pm