PARTIAL DISTRICT IMPACTS DUE TO SUNSHINE BRIDGE CLOSURE
Thank you for your continued patience as we work around the Sunshine Bridge closure. You, our parents, along with our teachers and staff have overcome significant challenges to your personal lives in adjusting to increased travel distances and modified school and activity times.
The recent news of reopening of the bridge in January 2019 is welcome, as we anticipated it would take significant work to make it a safe pathway once again. We see this as a moment of hope to return to normal operations in the near future while we continue to make reasonable adjustments to meet the needs of our students and employees.
Our school principals have worked to develop a new modified school schedule that prioritizes instructional time for students while balancing the realities of travel barriers until the Sunshine Bridge reopens.
Starting Monday, Nov. 5, 2019, the following school hours will apply (first bell - last bell):
- Ascension Head Start: 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
(original schedule: 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.)
- Donaldsonville Primary School: 8:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
(original schedule: 8:25 a.m. - 3:25 p.m.)
- Lowery Elementary School: 8:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
(original schedule: 8:20 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.)
- Lowery Middle School: 7:50 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
(original schedule: 7:25 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.)
- Donaldsonville High School: 8:02 a.m. - 2:40 p.m.
(original schedule 7:40 a.m. - 2:40 p.m.)
It is our hope that giving you a week's notice about the new timeline will allow you to make appropriate plans that will not be overly burdensome. We certainly look forward to the reopening of the Sunshine Bridge so that all operations can return to a normal schedule. Until then, we sincerely appreciate your partnership in serving our students with excellence at all levels.
Posted 2:30 p.m., Friday, October 19, 2018
Donaldsonville City schools will maintain one-hour delayed start times and regular dismissal times until further notice. Specific adjustments to programs have been communicated by school principals.
DOTD press release: Update on Sunshine Bridge closure
Posted 1:30 p.m., Sunday, October 14, 2018
LATEST UPDATE FROM THE DOTD:
DOTD press release: Sunshine bridge remains closed, second Plaquemine ferry extends hours
Posted 4:15 p.m., Friday October 12, 2018
Dear Ascension Public Schools Family,
Thank you all for helping us adjust quickly this morning due to the emergency Sunshine Bridge closure. Delaying the start of school by one hour was a successful strategy to minimize the impact to learning, and all of our schools had a great Friday.
The scope and timeline of repairs to the Sunshine Bridge are still unknown at this time. As we go into our Fall Break holiday, we would like to share with you our plans should the bridge remain closed when we resume school on Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018:
- Ascension Head Start, Donaldsonville Primary, Lowery Elementary, Lowery Middle and Donaldsonville High schools will maintain one-hour delayed start times and regular dismissal times.
- Students in Donaldsonville attending programs located across the Mississippi River such as APPLe Digital Academy, ABC Pelican, the Choice Program and Early College Option will receive detailed information regarding transportation, as needed from the program principals.
Parents/guardians and staff may get additional information directly from your principals regarding specific scheduling challenges unique to your school.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING TRAVEL
For those who need to travel to and from Donaldsonville while the Sunshine Bridge is closed, the following alternate routes are recommended by the Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD):
- LA 70 westbound traffic may detour by heading east on LA 3125, south on LA 3213 and crossing the Veterans Memorial Bridge, and west on LA 3127 to the junction of LA 70.
- LA 70 eastbound traffic may detour by heading east on LA 3127, north on LA 3213 and crossing the Veterans Memorial Bridge, and west on LA 3125 to the junction of LA 70.
- The second Plaquemine ferry began its afternoon operations today at 1:30 p.m. instead of 3:15 p.m. to accommodate additional traffic due to the bridge closure. It will run to its normal ending time of 7:15 p.m. this evening. Additionally, the weekend ferry will run extra hours, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. instead of 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
**Please note, if the Sunshine Bridge reopens, we will resume normal operations at all schools.**
For more information, including the latest status updates and resource links, visit www.apsb.org/emergency.
Have a great Fall Break!
Posted 6:00 a.m., Friday, Oct. 12, 2018
ALL DONALDSONVILLE SCHOOLS DELAY START BY ONE HOUR
Ascension Head Start, Donaldsonville Primary, Lowery Elementary, Lowery Middle and Donaldsonville High schools will have a one-hour delay to start this morning, Oct. 12, 2018, due to a crash closing the Sunshine Bridge. This is to allow for extra time for staff and bus drivers to travel to the schools.
This may also impact students and staff from Donaldsonville needing to travel to other parts of our district. We will work with students on excused tardies or absences due to travel issues.
For official notices and updates regarding school operations, visit our website, www.apsb.org.
- DOTD Press Release: Sunshine bridge closed indefinitely due to accident
GENERAL Crisis and Emergency Communication
- www.apsb.org : Official notifications of school closures are posted on our website's homepage and newsroom.
- Phone Calls: Broadcast messages to phones of parents/guardians and staff
- E-mails: Broadcast message to emails of students, faculty and staff
- Text Messaging: Broadcast messages to registered cell phones of parents/guardians
- Social Media
Know the Drill
|NBC 33/WVLA/FOX 44 (BR PROUD)|